This blog is intended to follow my activities as I traipse my way through learning to be an adult. Hopefully this will encourage me to write more often for my family and friends and give me an outlet to talk about the things that mean something to me. All of the opinions in this blog are mine, unless otherwise stated and I welcome comments and critiques, as well as discussions. So lets make this a fun experiment.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Japanese Lesson 1 part 2

In this part of the lesson we went over the different alphabets for lack of a better term, of Japanese.
Hiragana:

  • Used as the "alphabet" of the "Alphabet" (ie. Kanji)
    • sounding out and understanding the more difficult Kanji
  • Words without Kanji
  • Suffixes
  • Particles
  • Verb and Adjective inflections
Katakana

  • Has the same sounds as Hiragana
  • Used for foreign words 
  • Scientific words
  • Onomatopoeia
  • Emphasis (italics)
  • Food often
Kanji

  • Chinese characters repurposed for Japanese
  • Make up the bulk of the language vocab (needing 2000+ to read Japanese)
  • Each character has multiple pronunciations
  • Can be Noun, Adjective or Verb
I didn't really have any trouble with the Chapter and the way this is written just sweeps me along for the ride so I don't really notice that I'm working hard. I think its going to take some work to get them straight in my head for their purposes but they aren't that difficult, honestly I'll just quiz myself for a while and keep writing it down so I get the correlations correct. So all in all not really having a hard with this at all so far and being fairly entertained. If only my other classes were as entertaining and snarky as this I'd be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment